Manual Handling Course
Suitable for any employee who undertakes manual handling activities as part of their normal working day.
To provide delegates the knowledge and skills to undertake a confident Manual Handling task, thus making a significant contribution to the organisation’s Health and Safety performance with respect to Manual Handling.
- A brief outline of the legal requirements of the Manual Handling Operations Directive for both employers and employees
- Basic anatomy and physiology of the spine
- Risks of Low Back Pain
- Causes of Low Back Pain
- Good Handling Techniques which are adaptable to both work, domestic and leisure activities
- Factors which affect good handling
- A problem solving workshop which encourages participants to identify and rectify poor working practices in a variety of situations
- Information regarding the various types of automated and mechanised systems and its application to the workplace
- A “Fit-Break” for participants to join in a demonstration of simple preventative back exercises at home and at work
- Following the course delegates should have adequate information to enable them
- to comply with statutory duties and common law
- to comply with the organisations policies
- to be competent to carry out effective manual handling tasks, identify techniques of reducing risk and suggest any recommendations concerning corrective action required
- Identify and correct poor postures both at home and at work
- Be empowered with enough knowledge of the spine so as to recognise the warning signs of spinal damage and self manage simple back pain
- to evaluate the effectiveness of any recommendations
2½ – 3hours
Up to 15 maximum
£400.00 Costs include VAT, course material and a certificate of attendance.